Monday, January 17, 2011

Winter Garden

It's not exactly a bleak midwinter here in Southern California. 


The sunny three-day weekend gave me the chance to get out 
and clean up the garden...after five months of neglect.

(Hi, five-month-old.)


It was high time I pruned some roses, 
cut back the bushes, 
weeded, whacked, and tore things out.



Gardening requires faith in new life. 
It often looks worse before it looks better.


But really, that was a bit unruly, don't you think?


Ahh, that's better.


When pruning the roses, I enjoy removing 
every. single. leaf.


Do you find it hard to be so cruel?


 I love examining the strongest canes, 
choosing the best latent bud to be the recipient
of coursing springtime vigor.


I have great expectations.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, one must have faith to garden. I let a very nice and large bush get so out of hand last year and it was twelve feet by twelve feet. It left the biggest hole on my back fence. Last weekend I decided to rip it out and begin anew, and alas this weekend I went out with a saw and shovel and there were new shoots. I'll let it go this year and see if it comes back. I just always want it to look like spring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...